The idea of “bucket lists” or “life lists” is a pretty old one and Dayna has even gone so far as sharing a life list on her old blog. I had thought about putting a list like this together before but had only ever got as far as scribbling down some things I would like to do.
But being in the process of moving countries has been a good motivator to focus my thoughts on what I actually want to do and I also recently discovered Sebastian Terry’s story at www.100things.com.au which helped on the motivation side of things as well (this is where I got the term “100 Things List” which I prefer to other names just because it sounds so simple).
The result of my increased motivation is that I have finally committed to putting it all down and sharing it. I think that sharing it will really help in actually ticking off all these things as well. It’s like if someone is trying to lose weight then that person is supposedly more likely to succeed if they tell all their friends about it right? Or is it the other way round and they should tell no one? Oh well, either way I’m sharing the list.
Dayna and I decided we would do a combined list since we will probably be doing all these things together and our individual lists would be very similar anyway. Plus it’s nice to have things on the list that I wouldn’t have thought of myself but am now really excited about doing.
Putting together a combined list has encouraged a healthy debate on a few items but we’ve compromised and settled on 50 things so far. Our main criteria for something to make the list is simply that we both have to be really excited about doing it with a focus towards difficult or challenging things, things that we might need to go out of our way for and those that will help one or both of us overcome a fear or phobia.
However some things are just fun stuff that we haven’t done and want a good excuse to make sure we do it. A good example of this is #30 Go paintballing – Dayna convinced me to keep this one on the list in case anyone is curious. You can also see Dayna’s influence on the list by the number of shark related items. She is obsessed. I’m surprised “live with sharks” or “get a pet shark” isn’t on the list to be honest.
And yes, we have noticed that the current list does not have 100 things on it. YET. Our plan is to add to it as we think of new challenges we want to do, new places we want to go, and as friends and family suggest other awesome things to add. Half the items on our current list are from what friends and family have done and a lot of others are inspired by other people so feel free to suggest anything else we should do! We can even make it our 200 Things List if we came up with enough although I think even just the first 50 will take us awhile.
We’re going to use the list as a motivator if we find ourselves having a hard day at work and need reminding of why we are saving money. And if we are short on travel ideas then we can always look back at the list to see what we’ve still got to tick off.
We’ll blog about all the things we cross off the list as we go so hopefully we build up a few good stories to look back on too!
Our full 100 Things List is going to live here but the first 50 are below (in no particular order). Let us know if you’ve done any of these and can give us some tips on how/where/when or just tell us how amazing it was!
- Drive on the Autobahn in Germany
- Swim with Whale Sharks
- Cage dive with Great Whites
- Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Trek up to Machu Picchu
- Volunteer at an Orphanage
- Visit Salar de Uyuni – the world’s largest salt flat in Bolivia
- Go to a U2 Concert (Dayna’s never been)
- Hand feed sharks in the Bahamas
- Visit the house Dayna’s Grandma grew up in in Glasgow
- Snorkelling in the Red Sea
- See a sunrise over Angkor Wat
- Go Ice Fishing
- Throw a Dart at a Map and visit the country it lands on
- Drive the Pacific Coast Highway in the US
- Swim in the Devil’s Pool on the edge of the Victoria Falls
- Go to the 2014 football world cup in Brazil
- Swim with Dolphins
- Go to Oktoberfest
- Fly somewhere in business or first class
- Spend a night in an underwater hotel
- Ride the Trans-Siberian railway through Russia and Mongolia
- Walk the Siq to Petra
- Go on a road trip around Iceland
- Ride a Camel in Marrakech
- Float on the Dead Sea
- Stay in an Ice hotel
- Have a tomato fight at Tomatina in Spain
- See a Great White shark breach in South Africa
- Go paintballing
- Visit Dayna’s cousin in Belgium
- Do some research to find and visit Matt’s UK relatives
- Grab a last minute deal for an unplanned international trip
- Go to Iguaza falls in Argentina
- Hike Cinque Terre
- See the Northern Lights
- Go to Atlantis resort in Dubai and ride the Leap of Faith slide (goes through a shark tank)
- Go on a Safari in Africa
- Drink Champagne in Champagne
- Trek the rainforest of Madagascar
- Do a Polar Bear swim or ice swim
- Go skydiving
- Visit the Arctic
- Visit every continent (South America, Antarctica, Africa, and Europe to go)
- Eat Gelato in Italy
- Go snorkelling in the open water in Thailand (and not completely freak out)
- See the Great Pyramids
- Swim in Ha Long Bay
- Go sailing in Croatia
- Trek along the Great Wall of China