We couldn’t resist a classic “2012 review” post since it has been a pretty special year for us. Looking back, it seems crazy how many things have happened since the 1st of January.
At the start of the year, between us, we had visited 8 countries. Now, nearly 12 months later, we have been to 16 countries.
Since New Year’s day, there’s been a series of pretty big changes in our lives and we’ve also been able to tick quite a few things off our 100 Things List along the way.
Apologies for making this blog in to a bit of a list but hey, I’m an Accountant – you should feel lucky you’re not getting this in a spread sheet.
- On the 1st of January we were waking up in our little flat in Pipitea street with Courtney and Emily (Dayna’s sister(/my future sister-in-law) and her buddy) to hit the road for our last awesome road trip in NZ.
- After coming home from our road trip we then had to pack up all our things to move out to my Mum’s place to save money and enjoy spending time with her while we were still in the same country.
- We gave notice at our jobs in NZ then started the long, excruciating process of selling, packing or throwing away all of our possessions.
- Finally got me a full driving licence (…a few months after finally getting a restricted driving licence)…better late than never right? And got busy doing all the things we were going to miss doing in Wellington (like climbing Mt Kau Kau).
- Said A LOT of goodbyes including our last trip to see my Dad in Timaru before leaving NZ to start 2 amazing months of travel through South East Asia in Singapore.
- Left Vietnam for Cambodia then Thailand before our new home, the UK (to go straight to a pub for a 9am pint and watch the All Blacks thrash Ireland).
- Got ourselves jobs and celebrated Canada Day at Trafalgar Square.
- Found a flat, settled in to life in London, enjoyed the Olympics and went on our first UK road trip.
- Travelled to Italy.
- Went to Hertfordshire for my Christmas party, went to some concerts (Ben Folds Five and Florence and the Machine) and had an Orphans Christmas (our first one where we were both away from our families at the same time).
So, 8 new countries visited, 9 things ticked off our 100 Things List, 1 international move, 1 engagement. Not bad 2012, not bad. Next year is looking pretty good too but I’ll leave it to Dayna to tell you all about our plans sometime soon…
Happy New Year everyone!